Re: Network attack?

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> writes:

But definitely thanks for the info - if (when) it happens again, I
will try disabling the "transmission" stuff and see if the situation
gets better.

Any news on this?  I get occasional crashes or hangs of an amd64 system
that serves as my main gateway, file server, mail server, etc, and uses
ipf to do firewalling and NAT between VLANs on a trunked interface.  The
risk seems to be related to network throughput, and greatly increased if
a host behind the gateway runs rtorrent.

I deactivated the bit-torrent "transmission" stuff, and things have been much more stable. I have had one crash/hang since then, but was not able to determine if it was the same situation.

FWIW, I have no NAT, no ipf, or any other packet-manipulation activity on my system. It's a "traditional" totally-exposed publicly-accessible node.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |