Re: kernel crashes because crypto unloading?

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014, Paul Goyette wrote:

I would have expected config_cfdata_detach() to fail (with EBUSY) if the device was still open by someone. So I'm not sure who/what still owns allocations from the module's memory pool.

Hmmm, I guess I misunderstood something. It seems that there is no protection against detaching a device even when it is currently open.

A quick-and-dirty program that simply opens /dev/crypto and sleeps shows that the module gets unloaded.

I'm not sure at this point if the crypto(4) driver should implement a ref-count, or if a more generic solution should be created within the autoconf(9) framework.

For now, the best solution is to either leave the modules built-in, or manually load them (which prevents auto-unload).

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |