Building NetBSD system: what is PIGSGZIP?

I look at the command line in the build logs on

and at least for HEAD and netbsd-6, one parameter is

What is this, and would it make a build succeed that would otherwise fail?

I just used the search on and found what it is, but how would it
affect a system build?

I see /usr/bin/pigz is in NetBSD base system but not FreeBSD; however pigz is
listed in archivers for both pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports.