etcupdate and DESTDIR

I look in "man etcupdate" and see nothing that supports updating /etc on a
different partition.

I want to rebuild NetBSD-current for both amd64 and i386, from amd64.

Both installations are on 16 GB USB sticks with GPT partitioning.

i386 installation gives me a spew of green messages about problems reading the
USB stick, so much that I can't do anything worthwhile without being
interrupted by that spew.

Maybe NetBSD-current i386 is not stable, or not stable on that USB stick; I
notice /etc/rc.conf sometimes getting messed up.

So I would like to make one more update attempt, and if that is not
satisfactory, install to a different model of 16 GB USB stick.

For i386, I would install both kernel and userland from amd64 rather than
reboot after copying the kernel and before installing the userland: nothing to
lose on such a shaky system.

Possibly NetBSD-current i386 could be allergic to this particular Kingston Data
Traveler model?

Could I then run etcupdate?

Maybe reboot into the NetBSD-current i386 USB stick, and if the green spew gets
in the way of etcupdate, give up on that USB stick in favor of another?

Maybe, since I have no packages built on NetBSD-current i386, I do better to
just install fresh on another USB stick.

Make (build.sh) release instead of distribution, and be sure to have sufficient
/dev/dk* nodes?

Tom