Problems with amd64 -current - bootloader cannot load modules?

I just installed a -current amd64 kernel with updated bootblocks. The kernel is built from sources updated at 2013-10-07 at 17:39:35 UTC (just a few hours ago).

My /boot.cfg file starts with

        load=ffs

since my normal running kernel is very minimalistic (neary everything that can run as a module, does run as a module).

When booting either my custom/minimalistic kernel or a GENERIC kernel, it gets as far as printing the sizes of the various sections, and then gives the message

        head full (0x6cd08+16384)

Then it gives the standard boot-loader message about "Please insert a real system disk" (paraphrased, of course).

I was able to restore my old kernel, so no permanent harm done.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |