Re: wm(4) BMC related change (Fwd: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/pci)

SAITOH Masanobu <msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost> writes:

>  I fixed some BMC related bugs. If you have troble with BMC capable
> machine, please try the latest -current and report whether the problem
> is solved or not. If you still have problems, please compile the kernel
> with WM_DEBUG and send the full dmesg to me.

I've been having stability problems for a while, on a Dell Poweredge
2850 that uses a wm interface to do VLAN trunking to a Cisco switch.
The machine is both default router and NFS server for my home systems.
It displays very frequent short pauses in network communication, less
frequent longer pauses, and occasional complete hangs.  The hanging
affects disk I/O (ld over amr), in that a logged-in shell on the
console, for instance, will still work until it does something that
tries to access disk.  The situation worsens with increasing network
usage, and firing up a bittorrent client on another machine behind it
will normally bring it to its knees before very long, especially if I
have the bittorrent client store files it pulls down on NFS storage
served by the 2850...

Does this sound like a situation your bug fixes might be relevant to?

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman