Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, John Nemeth wrote:
} So now we can ship 7 with dhcp-4.2.3 and get rid of the old one.
} The question is, should we build dhclient? Or we say you just need
} to use dhcpcd?

    I would much prefer to see dhclient shipped, since it comes almost
free.  I'm not the only one that has complained about having to change
configuration stuff (some of which can be fairly complex) for what
appears to be gratutious reasons.  As it stands, all the code needed to
build dhclient will be in-tree, and appears to require very little in
the way of developer resources.  Also, this would hardly be the only
place where we have duplicate functionality, so I personally don't
consider that to be a very good argument.

I agree we should keep dhclient or at the very least provide an easy switch to enable it building. It seems to me that, given the integration with the various libraries and bind, people who choose to use dhclient may otherwise need to jump through a number of hoops for it to be fully integrated.

--
Stephen