Re: Telnet login not allowed

Hi,

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I cannot telnet to my box anymore (after one of the upgrades probably). I usually use rlogin which continues to work, so I wonder what is wrong and how can I debug it.

if I "telnet localhost" it works, thus the daemon is running, if I telent from the outisde, I get an authentication error (telnetd: Authorization failed) before even trying to input my password.

In authlog I see an inbound connection but no errors/warnings.

My inetd.conf line is:
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd -a valid

and has been so since ages I guess.

Thank you,
could it be a PAM issue? or what else? I am not even asked about credential, telnet refuses authentication before asking my credentials (thus it is nto a problem of e.g. root login.)

My PAM setup is untouched and looks like this for telnet:

# auth
auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
auth            include         system

# account
account         include         login

# session