Re: netbsd-6 instability - vmem

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> On my i386 machine, I set kern.maxvnodes to 140000 (was 390000ish).
> Then, even with restarting IPsec, coda, etc., I have done heavy git
> operations (in a repo with 300K files) without trouble.  I'm not sure
> that this fixes everything, but so far it seems much better.
>
> So I suggest turning down kern.maxvnodes to see if that helps.

I have rebooted a few times (not because the machine was in trouble),
but so far with kern.maxvnodes much lower the machine is very stable.
I am leaving it at 104448, which is the default at boot.

For the record, I also have the following in sysctl.conf, although i'm
not sure any of this matters.  The vm. settings are an attempt to avoid
having the file cache crowd out pages from programs that haven't
happened to have run for a few minutes.  Otherwise, returning to a piggy
program (e.g., web browswer) after not touching it for an hour results
in tens of seconds of paging.

  net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto=1
  net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto=1
  net.inet6.tcp6.recvbuf_auto=1