Re: Cross compile for intel x64_86 on 32 bit Intel system.

newhouse%gandpline.com@localhost (Paul Newhouse) writes:

> Running on: NetBSD mail 5.0.2 NetBSD 5.0.2 (MAIL) #5: Tue Apr 26
> 17:38:29 PDT 2011
> root@mail:/usr/src/BUILD_OBJ/sys/arch/i386/compile/MAIL i386
>
> I'm wondering if I'm understanding this correctly?
>
> The adm64 build produces x86_64 code that will run on AMD and Intel 64
> bit architectures?

One can build for any arch from any other arch (more or less, if not
it's a bug).  amd64 is the name for the 64-bit cpu first produced by
AMD, and which Intel later implemented with feature "EM64T".

There is also a 64-bit cpu called "IA64" which is uncommon and
different.  That is perhasp what "Intel 64-bit architecture" means,
which is different from "Intel's implementation of AMD's 64-bit
architecture".