Re: possible fix for strange USB sticks / SD card readers

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 06:02:54PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> As it was reported repeatedly, some USB sticks do not work on NetBSD,
> often a "Generic HBA error" is reported in the kernel log.
> There seem to be different kinds of misbehavior which cause this
> symptom. Finally I got one strange USB stick between my fingers,
> this one answers the SCSI "Request Sense" after an unsupported
> command with an USB pipe stall.
> Here is a patch which makes the code tolerate this behavior in
> certain cases. With that, the stick I got works properly.
>
> Can those of you with other non-working USB sticks (or SD card
> readers which sometimes use similar controller chips) try
> the patch and report whether it helps?
>
> best regards
> Matthias
> Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH

Matthias,
thanks a lot - it seems I can finally use all these microSD cards!

Just one issue. I have no clue how to apply this patch. I guess I have
to put it in the umass-source and recompile? Can anybody give me some
hint where to start/to read applying this patch. My NetBSD is all
installed without sources (5.1), just all the working binaries on the
harddisk.

Any hints? Please!
herb langhans