Re: Problems with TOD clock data on i386?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Brian Buhrow wrote:

        hello John.  I'm sorry, I forget these details and I don't see your
original message, but here are more questions.

1.  What version of NetBSD are you running?

NetBSD skuld 6.0_BETA2 NetBSD 6.0_BETA2 (SKULD) #39: Mon Jul 23 15:29:41 CDT
2012  sysop@skuld:/d0/build/netbsd-6/obj/i386/sys/arch/i386/compile/SKULD i386

2.  What architecture are you running?

As above, i386.  The machine has an EM64T-capable CPU, so it could run
the amd64 port, but there's currently no pressing reason to do so.

        I'm guessing the problem is somewhere in
/usr/src/sys/arch/x86/isa/rtc.c
probably in rtcinit()

How old is your machine?  Can you boot NetBSD-4 or NetBSD-3 on it?  What do
they do in terms of initializing the tod clock?

According to:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00589068&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=1118267&prodTypeId=12454

it is probably of 2006 vintage.  When I acquired the machine about 1.5
years ago, I immediately put -current (5.99.x at the time) on it.  I
could arrange to try netbsd-5 or netbsd-4 (so long as the 'wm' ethernet
interface is supported--the integrated network adapter doesn't work).

        I'm thinking that your machine has some sort of emulated mc146818
software in it and there's an incompatibility between the NetBSD mc146818
driver and your emulated chip.  I would have never even thought of this
except for a recent discussion on some list about emulated 16550A serial
chips on modern motherboards.
        I take it you have updated the BIOS on this machine to the latest
available?  Does google have anything to say about the tod clock in this
machine model?  The manual?

The previous owner of this machine was attempting to turn it into a
"Hackintosh" and it supposedly has a custom-tweaked BIOS to support
this.  From what I've been able to determine either HP never issued a
BIOS update for this machine (that I can see) or it is embedded inside
some other software which I can't run (windoze), so I'm stuck with it
unless someone with an identical machine can send me an image of their
factory BIOS I could figure out how to install it.

The "manual" for this machine are a series of the typical drool-catcher
that is typical of the machine's target market.  They are not helpful.