upgrade success, route6d trouble on netbsd-6

I have a machine that was running netbsd-5 from early 2012.  It's i386 -
a soekris net5501.  By accident, I updated it to mid-June -current with
INSTALL-NetBSD from sysutils/etcmanage (by rsyncing the wrong release
bits).  I didn't do kernel/user separately because I thought I was
updating to recent netbsd-5, and I got 'bad system call - core dumped'
for everything.  After a power cycle it came up running current just
fine.

I then rsynced a netbsd-6 build, and did the update again, doing user
first, and then kernel, with shutdown -r running in the background.
That worked fine, and I cleaned out new libs that had a ctime from the
-current update but not the -6 version.

Route6d runs, but I have no routes.  kill -USR1 shows a sane database.
Starting up route6d -d, for every route I get:

  Can not write to rtsock (addroute): Invalid argument

Is route6d working for anyone else?