Re: Problems with IPMI and wm? sharing a physical Ethernet port

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:45:21PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> tls%panix.com@localhost (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>
> >SuperMicro certainly makes some nice stuff, but if you're considering
> >using their IPMI-equipped systems with NetBSD -- make sure you don't get
> >that platform!
>
> They just use some standard BMC chip which nowadays is often an embedded
> Linux device.

Yes, but the "9" series platforms use a different BMC chip than their older
platforms, and it appears to be unable to do register-level emulation of
serial ports.

It also presents something very, very different when you SSH to it -- if
it has firmware that can do SSH at all.  You get a strange, broken little
interpreter for some pseudostandard system management environment; definitely
not busybox.

The HTTP/HTTPS interface to the firmware looks almost indistinguishable,
though.

I wish they hadn't monkeyed around with the VNC protocol.  Then at least
using the graphical console forwarding would be an option.

Thor