Re: Problems with IPMI and wm? sharing a physical Ethernet port

        hello.  We use Sun X2200 servers which have the shared bge(4) port.
Our solution to the shared port problem, which we implemented back in
NetBSD-4.x days,was to  dedicate the IPMI port to the BMC board and
eliminate the possibility of NetBSD mucking with the  chip by building a
custom kernel which hard codes the remaining Broadcom ethernet chips into
place and doesn't probe or use the Broadcom chip shared with the IPMI
board.  You could do the same thing on your box and hav a management  port
and a traffic port.  The problem is that even if you get the sharing to
work, there are cases where the OS can get the chips into states where the
BMC loses contact with the outside world.  If that happens, and the OS
becomes unresponsive, your out of band management solution is toast and you
have to resort to visiting the box to fix it.  Using an entirely separate
physical port means you can put the management on a physically secure LAN,
can get to it if the rest of the machine is catatonic and, most
importantly, you can do all this regardless of what happens operationally
to the box.

-Brian