Re: makemandb errors from pkgsrc

On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> Essentially, the manpage has markup errors which makemandb complains about
> rather than ignore silently. You may find that mandoc also complains about
> them but since that is during package creation (and only if catpages are
> installed) you won't have noticed (try "mandoc -Tlint" on them)

While that probably is the case, what was the fix that Christos had mentioned
in http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2012/02/27/msg019271.html ? It
seems like regardless of whether NetBSD fixes the manpages in pkgsrc, Julio
Merino's original comment of "why should I, as an admin of a given machine,
care about them? There is not much I can do about the errors, and seeing them
in every single daily report is annoying" still applies. This particular
machine doesn't have anything in /usr/local/man, but what if it did happen to
have a bad manpage there? /usr/local/man is listed in /etc/mk.conf, so I assume
makemandb would try to index it and complain.

It seems like it'd be better for makemandb to be quieter by default--perhaps
only complain if -v is given, or perhaps *not* complain if -q is given (and use
-q when running from the daily script) if the manpage is well-formed enough to
parse the NAME section (i.e., if the old apropos would've indexed the page,
don't complain about it by default).

Also, I'm getting this for some X manpages (and one groff manpage)... no
mention of what sort of error was encountered. Yes, it's an older X install,
and maybe it's fixed now, but again, is it really necessary to update X just to
quiet makemandb?

makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/Xv.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvSelectVideoNotify.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvFreeAdaptorInfo.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvFreeEncodingInfo.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvGetPortAttribute.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvGetStill.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvGetVideo.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvGrabPort.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvPortNotify.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvPutStill.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvPutVideo.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvQueryAdaptors.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvQueryBestSize.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvQueryEncodings.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvQueryExtension.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvSelectPortNotify.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvSetPortAttribute.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvStopVideo.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvUngrabPort.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/X11R7/man/man3/XvVideoNotify.3
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/share/man/man7/groff_mmse.7

INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 36 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++