Re: Streange behavior for tmpfs?

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:47:16PM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
While attempting to update one of my source trees, using

        cvs -P -d -D 'a-few-minutes-ago'

I started getting the following error message:

        cannot create_adm_p /tmp/cvs-serv23337/usr.sbin/dumpfs
        No space left on device

Isn't that a server message and not related to your local fs?

Hmmmm - good point.

My /tmp is rather large, but when I use df on it (at intervals of a few
seconds), it seems that the _size_ of the filesystem is decreasing!  I
might expect that the Used would go up (and Avail go down) if files were
being created in the filesystem, but I certainly would not expect the
actual size of the filesystem to change!

That is strange. Btw, you should also look at the number of inodes.

Perhaps the size of the tmpfs is dynamically adjusting itself based on the available amount of "main memory and swap space" (quoting the -s description of mount_tmpfs(8) man page)? I was not expecting this...

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |