Re: ahcisata & SPL NOT LOWERED ON EXIT messages

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:17:14PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:12:03PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an amd64 -current machine (dmesg attached) that frequently spew
> > tons of `SPL NOT LOWERED ON EXIT' message while trying to dump core on
> > kernel panic.
> >
> > I tracked it to ahcisata driver which has 2 panic(9) calls inside
> > splbio/splx block (ahci_exec_command() and ahci_atapi_scsipi_request()
> > functions). When panicing, the splx call is indeed missed ...
> I don't understand why panicing without lowering the IPL would
> be an issue. There are even cases where you can't avoid it (e.g.
> when in interrupt context). I don't think the problem is in the ahci
> driver.

I see no problem with the panic call itself. With ddb.onpanic=1, i can
do common operations (without disk access) with no problem. Messages
start firing when the system start using the disks behind the ahcisata
controller to dump core.

Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.