Re: alpha kernel hang at boot

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Nicolas Joly wrote:

I cannot boot my PWS500au machine with a recent kernel anymore ... It
hangs at some point.

How recent? I saw a change recently that may fix a powerpc problem and there was an indication that it may help mips and alpha.

This seems to be related to recent kmem/vmem changes ... an old
5.99.60 version does show any problem.

Any idea ?

I tried booting kernels from the 201201312100Z build, and they were able to get to starting init. Then they paniced in sysctl_locate. It appeared to be trying to access 0xfffffe0000000008 - which I think is the start of the kernel virtual address space.

Mike

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant