Re: NetBSD & SSDs (without TRIM)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 05:53:28PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> (David Brownlee) writes:
> >In its absence I was wondering if there are any tasks that could be
> >occasionally run to make the drive's
> >life easier, such as filling all empty space on a disk with all 1's
> >data (working on the assumption that
> >the flash's natural behaviour of erasing to all 1s is reflected
> >through to the data).
> I doubt that the drive treats writing a sector full of 1's as an
> implicit TRIM operation.

If it's got a controller like the Sandforce, though, writing many such
blocks (because they're highly compressible) will likely free up enough
space to cause it to effectively trim the underlying storage anyway.

Thor Lancelot Simon
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all
   at once."    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau, On The Social Contract