Re: NetBSD & SSDs (without TRIM)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 05:53:28PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> abs%absd.org@localhost (David Brownlee) writes:
>
> >In its absence I was wondering if there are any tasks that could be
> >occasionally run to make the drive's
> >life easier, such as filling all empty space on a disk with all 1's
> >data (working on the assumption that
> >the flash's natural behaviour of erasing to all 1s is reflected
> >through to the data).
>
> I doubt that the drive treats writing a sector full of 1's as an
> implicit TRIM operation.

If it's got a controller like the Sandforce, though, writing many such
blocks (because they're highly compressible) will likely free up enough
space to cause it to effectively trim the underlying storage anyway.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon                                    tls%panix.com@localhost
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all