Re: Fix for kern/20700

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 03:37:21PM -0500, John Jaser wrote:
> I too recall early Cisco gear having compatibility issues that resulted in
> duplex mismatches. The fix of hard-coding both ends then spawned years
> of duplex mismatches, as when the NIC is set to hard-coded 100 full, to an
> "auto" switch port; the switch sees no negotiation and defaults to the "safe"
> setting of 100-Half, while the NIC stays at 100-Full. Both ends set to auto
> is now preferred to avoid the constant duplex mismatches that would sneak up
> otherwise.

Of course, with modern swicthes I let autonegotiation do its job most
of the time (eventually I restrict the media advertized on one end, e.g.
when both ends can do gigabit but I don't want more than a 100mbs link).

But with old devices, hard setting both ends is often the only
way to get the desired media.