Re: ATF tests still failing to complete within 2 hours on amd64

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 11:09:54AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> tls%panix.com@localhost (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>
> >positive are free to do what they usually do: turn DIAGNOSTIC off.  What's
> >the problem?
>
> The problem is that you are debugging your code by taking productive
> systems hostage. Nobody would mind a simple warning which is perfect
> for DIAGNOSTIC.

A) It's not my code.  If it's broken, it's been broken -- producing non
   random output -- for a very, very long time.  Now, who is "hostage"
   to whom?

B) Why would you want to run a system with a random number generator that
   isn't?

C) There is exactly one instance of this test that will actually reboot
   the system: the very first one at boot.  In which case, if the positive
   is a false positive, the system will just come up perfectly normally
   a few seconds or a minute later.  We discussed this at some length
   when I initially proposed the patch, and that was the one instance of
   the panic() that seemed like it should say -- so it did.

Thor