Re: non-automated test failure report! :)

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 06:20:10PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Nov 15, 11:36pm, njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost (Nicolas Joly) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: non-automated test failure report!  :)
[...]
> | > Either limits don't work... which they seem not to...
> |
> | I had the need to limit user processes memory to not let them crash
> | the machines. Unfortunately neither RLIMIT_DATA and RLIMIT_RSS worked.
> | Checking the kernel sources showed that we can set/get values, but are
> | unused otherwise ... except RLIMIT_DATA in sys_obreak().
>
> You need both RLIMIT_AS and RLIMIT_DATA for malloc since some of them use
> both sbrk() and mmap. What I was complaining was that RLIMIT_RSS seems to
> be non-functional and I just grepped the source and it is :-)

Right. But limiting address space will prevent mmap on huge files or
big number of medium sized ones (we do have such cases @work).

I wonder if anon mmap sizes should be taken into account for process
data size too ... they are mostly malloc in disguise.

--
Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.