Re: non-automated test failure report! :)

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 06:20:10PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Nov 15, 11:36pm, (Nicolas Joly) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: non-automated test failure report!  :)
> | > Either limits don't work... which they seem not to...
> |
> | I had the need to limit user processes memory to not let them crash
> | the machines. Unfortunately neither RLIMIT_DATA and RLIMIT_RSS worked.
> | Checking the kernel sources showed that we can set/get values, but are
> | unused otherwise ... except RLIMIT_DATA in sys_obreak().
> You need both RLIMIT_AS and RLIMIT_DATA for malloc since some of them use
> both sbrk() and mmap. What I was complaining was that RLIMIT_RSS seems to
> be non-functional and I just grepped the source and it is :-)

Right. But limiting address space will prevent mmap on huge files or
big number of medium sized ones (we do have such cases @work).

I wonder if anon mmap sizes should be taken into account for process
data size too ... they are mostly malloc in disguise.

Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.