help with hdafg outputs.master issue

I have a Thinkpad T500, running current amd64 (though the same issue
was present in 5.1)

The kernel autoconfigures with outputs.master controlling the external
jack, and outputs.master2 the internal speaker.

Obviously any audio controlling apps (and the built in power buttons)
control outputs.master, which is... not entirely helpful.

I would have assumed that the on a system with built in speakers the
default outputs.master should be exactly that, or control all output
on the device.

*should* the system default to outputs.master matching the internal
speaker in this case, and if so, would it just be adjusting the logic
in  hdafg.c?

% dmesg|egrep 'audio|hdafg'
hdaudio0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0: HD Audio Controller
hdaudio0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17
hdafg0 at hdaudio0: Conexant CX20561
hdafg0: DAC00 2ch: HP Out [Jack]
hdafg0: ADC01 2ch: Mic In [Jack]
hdafg0: DAC02 2ch: Speaker [Built-In]
hdafg0: ADC03 2ch: Mic In [Built-In]
hdafg0: 2ch/2ch 44100Hz 48000Hz 96000Hz PCM16 PCM20 PCM24 AC3
audio0 at hdafg0: full duplex, playback, capture, independent
hdvsmfg at hdaudio0 not configured
audio1 at pad0: half duplex, playback, capture

% mixerctl -a
outputs.master=234,234
outputs.master2=189,189
inputs.beep=255,255