Re: Documentation for dtrace?

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 08:51:23AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:

> 1. Is there any info on performance impact for building the kernel with
>    "options KDTRACE_HOOKS" ?

In -- minimal -- testing, I was not able to observe a perfomance impact.

> 2. The wiki article says that DTRACE is only for i386 - does this mean
>    that it doesn't work on amd64?

That's correct.  This work was done at Coyote Point, and at that time, we
had no immediate need for amd64 support, and many other high priority
NetBSD tasks in the pipeline.  However, Darran and I did discuss, at the
time, what would be needed to complete the amd64 specific pieces of the
puzzle; unfortunately, I do not remember the answers and do not have
access to my project planning materials from CP.

However, I am nudging Darran by carbon, and perhaps he'll respond to the
list.

Thor