Re: raidframe performance question

        hello.  As far as I know, the boot blocks don't know how to boot off
of a raid5 set directly at all.  Having wanted to do what you did many
years ago, I did the small non-raid partition at the front of each disk
trick so the boot blocks can get the kernel loaded and then the kernel can
load the raid5 set as root, just as you  expect.  This gives me the ability
to boot the system no matter which disks I might lose, but still have the
redundancy of having all filesystems on a raid5 set.
        The only trick is that when I upgrade the system, I have to remember
to put new kernels on the little non-raid partitions, because the kernel in
/ isn't the kernel actually loaded.
        So the steps look like:

1.  Set up the disklabel on each disk, leaving a small 1GB partition at the
beginning for a copy of an OS installation and reserving the rest for the
raid.

2.  Configure the raid5 set.

3.  Partition the raid5 set as appropriate, /, /var, /usr, etc.

4.  Load OS onto the raid5 set

5.  Load OS onto one of the non-raid partitions.

6.  Dump/restore that non-raid partition onto the other non-raid partitions
so as to insure identical copies of the installation on each disk.

7.  Installboot on each disk, asking the boot blocks to boot off the 'a'
partition of each disk.

8.  Run raidctl -A root raid0
or wich ever raid set you want to be root.

        Now, when you boot the system, you'll load the kernel from one of the
non-raid partitions, but when the system is up, it looks like it's fully
self contained on the raid5 set.
My df looks like:

%df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/raid0a  19543657   2624395  15942080    14%    /
/dev/raid0e  48860623  22788746  23628846    49%    /var
/dev/raid0f 600067956  62037020 508027540    10%    /usr/home
/dev/raid0g 200020836  27003860 163015936    14%    /usr/local
/dev/raid0h  97722686  18395355  74441197    19%
/var/www/nfbcal/docs/mp3
/dev/raid0i 112518729  10325793  96567000     9%    /var/yoshipics

-thanks
-Brian