Re: Questions about file-system snapshot - fss(4)

On May 14, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Paul Goyette wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about fss ...
>
> The name claims that it makes a snapshot of a filesystem, but the path
> argument to fssconfig(8) is a pathname.  The man page doesn't document any
> requirement that the path argument refer to the mount-point of a filesystem.

The path argument must refer to the root of a file system.

> So, what happens if you specify a normal file as the path argument?  And what
> happens if you specify a directory somewhere within (but not at the root of)
> a filesystem?

You get an error (EINVAL).

> Second question: the man page states that fss(4) is still experimental (since
> 2005).  Is there a known list of things that are broken?  (A search through
> gnats doesn't find any PRs.)

There are some problems with journalling file systems (-o log) at least.
Starting with NetBSD 6.0 it will no longer be experimental.

> Finally,
>
> Assuming that /home is the root of a mounted filesystem, if I create a
> snapshot using
>
>       fssconfig -c /dev/fss0 /home /var/tmp/
>
> can I then use
>
>       dump -0a /home | ...

No. You could use `dump -0a /dev/rfss0' but the preferred usage is `dump -0aX
/home', see dump(8) for details.

> to get a self-consistent backup of the /home filesystem?

> | Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:       |
> | Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
> | Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at juniper.net |
> | Kernel Developer |                          | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |

Jürgen Hannken-Illjes - hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost - TU Braunschweig