Re: Re-scan bus for ata controllers

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 03:15:27PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> [...]
>       </plist>
>       {166} drvctl -r atabus1
>       drvctl: DRVRESCANBUS: Operation not supported by device
>       {167}
>
> Is anyone working on this?

this is on my todo list, but not on top of it.

> If not, what would be involved in making
> this work?

At the time, what stopped me was that for PATA, you can't scan/attach the
master and slave independandly, and implementing rescan for atabus
was quite messy.
For SATA, things are somewhat better, but we have to keep SATA
expanders in mind (i.e. not assume one device per SATA bus).

Also, some SATA controller (e.g. AHCI) can detect PHY disconnect/reconnect.
I'm not sure we want to automatically detach a device on PHY disconnect,
but it would be nice to automatically trigger a rescan on PHY
reconnect.

> I really don't want to run out and buy a SCSI controller, especially
> after just paying for the SATA hot-swap system.  :)

Actually you can hot-swap SATA devices, as long as they're quiet when
unplugging it, and replugging a device of the exact same model in place.