Strange error from vipw

I'm trying to add a user to my systems, and having a little bit of a problem.

Four out of five systems went fine, but the last one is reporting an error:

        vipw: pwd_mkdb exited with static 1
        re-edit the password file? [y]:

But it's not very clear what "static 1" means, nor is there any clue to help me fix the problem.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at    |