Re: finding the perpetrator of regular disk I/O

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 05:53:27PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> a current kernel, but not under a 5.1_STABLE kernel.  How can I find
> what part of the system is doing the disk I/O (iostat doesn't tell me
> the process, for instance), and how do I make it stop?  I would like
> to know how to find sources of disk I/O in general, and also to fix
> this particular case.

What you can do is load up a blank fingerprint file into veriexec and
set that to run in monitor mode only.  That will log every exec for you
since the fingerprint won't match.  It is not what veriexec is intended
for but it will provide the information, I did exactly this when I was
trying to do the same thing with idling the disk on my laptop.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: