Re: i386 GENERIC+miniroot vs amd64 INSTALL kernels

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 04:30:48PM +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
> What about INSTALL kernels?

Well, that is an orthogonal issue. Sparc64 provides INSTALL (with md
internal miniroot) and CD images with GENERIC as kernel.

Since there are only very few kernels build, it is no big deal to keep
INSTALL.

> Back then, downloading and starting an installation was quite
> straightforward. Now, you need to have GENERIC + download miniroot.kmod
> installation module, "load /miniroot.kmod" in bootloader, which is not
> necessarily as trivial -- is it a voluntary change (and just needs
> documentation to reflect the state), or just an oversight?

Yes, it is a more convenient (some people say "a lot", but maybe the difference
is more the missing documentation, I don't realy know).
But i386 number of kernels exploded, and INSTALL was an easy one to kill.
I personally see no reason for other ports to follow this move w/o compelling
reason.

Martin