Re: ld.elf_so sources [was Re: HEADS-UP: temporary security problem in today's NetBSD-current]

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:33:25AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> the general idea is that kernel sources belong in src/sys, so they'll
> move into there somewhere.  the userland .PATH will simply be modified
> to suit.  the actual implementation details don't exist yet.

So libc sources that are also used by the kernel will get sucked into
src/sys?  To me, even the reverse would be preferable.

> while i see the pain from your POV, there's a regular pain felt by
> many people who get broken kernel builds when they forget to update
> src/common when updating src/sys.  that's the real why.

I cannot understand why it is okay to break things for people who
work carefully and (in the context of the current source organization)
correctly in order to provide a crutch for people who have the bad habit
of updating the source tree wrong.

External teams working with NetBSD should be able to rely on some degree
of stability in the source tree organization.  Making a major change like
this to help people who inappropriately update part of the tree just seems
very wrong.

If you want to give them a crutch, give them a CVS module that includes
src/sys and src/common!

Thor