Re: Strange system behavior

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:09:37 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <> wrote:

> > I'm betting you have bad memory. Try running memtest86 for a couple
> > of days on the box and see what happens.
> Memory was my first suspicion.  I started with 2x2GB of Kingston.  Then
> I added 2x2GB of Corsair memory for a total of 8GB.  The problem stayed,
> so I removed the original Kingston memory leaving only the 2x2G Corsair.
> Doesn't seem to make any difference - all three result in the same
> failure symptom.

The reason I didn't immediately suggest running memtest86 as well was
that if I understand, the failure happens at the same place in the
build.  It's not impossible that it's a hardware issue and that the
particular module it fails at particularily stresses the system, but
hardware failures have usually caused more random issues in my case.

Unfortunately, I still have no clue as to where the corruption could
come from, if it's not the RAM.  It might still be useful to verify
that the system also doesn't overheat...