Re: Hardware checksums on bge(4) interfaces

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 01:22:35PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> >Yes, please see PR kern/40018 (http://gnats.netbsd.org/40018).
> >

>   Thanks for that link.  Someone else mentioned that specific problem.
> Looking at that PR, however, it's still not clear if this affects bge(4)
> hardware in general (in which case, it should not be offered by the
> driver), or only specific revisions of bge(4) hardware.

Yes, it might be very well related to specific version. But how
do you tell? I wouldn't want to risk it in general.

>   Does anyone have any knowledge of how to look into this?  Does
> broadcom publish any sort of errata for revisions of their various
> ethernet parts?

Well, the problem is that they release new revisions of the chip
very frequently which always require re-testing, etc..

I personally replaced the bge(4) with a wm(4) which works fine
with all the checksums enabled.

>    and on a related (for me) note, if I want these features on for
> devices that are part of an agr(4), should I put them on the devices
> before adding them to the agr(4), enable these options on the agr(4), or
> both?

As agr(4) handles the IP layer you must probably enable these options
on agr(4) if it supports them at all. But I don't know for sure as
I have never used agr(4).

        Kind regards