Re: [PAE] minor virtual memory i386 code rework

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:24:45PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am currently in the process of adding PAE support within kvm(3). As
> such, I am proposing a patch (see attached) to the "review before
> commit" process:
>
> - it makes paddr_t a 64 bits entity for i386 userland, whether PAE
> support was compiled in, or not (only affects kvm_i386).

I thought you needed to solve the problem of loadable kernel modules?

I think that means that any kernel structures that might be referenced
by a loadable module must contain space for a 64bit paddr_t.
This would include kernels that are build without PAE support.

Internally a non-PAE kernel will probably want to use 32bit arithmetic
for any calculations.

This might mean using a structure for paddr_t !

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost