Re: non-root build failure + correct permissions for /usr/obj?

    Date:        Tue, 25 May 2010 12:08:52 +0200
    From:        Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost>

  | I prefer to complain if option don't make sense, rather than guessing
  | how to fix them.

It isn't really guessing, other than expert mode, which as its name
suggests, should not be considered by almost anyone, it is the only
way that works if you're not root.   Requiring users to give an option
every time is just plain silly.

Or, consider it the other way - a reasonable choice might be to make
unpriv'd builds the default (always) and add another option, that would
work only for root, that makes an "old style" build (storing owner and mode
in the inodes instead of the log).

Then, you wouldn't insist on a "not expert mode" option, right?  If that's
correct, then what's the real difference?

  | build.sh already has this code, to bomb if you try to
  | build as an unprivileged user without setting either -U (unprivileged)
  | or -E (expert mode):

Assuming the lack of the -U was the cause of the reported problem that
started this exchange (which was also my first thought when I saw the
request for assistance), then that appears to have not worked the way it
was intended....  (but of course that's a different issue).

kre