Re: High performance random-access disk operations (Raidframe?)

On May 11, 2010, at 03:26, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
Chris Ross wrote:
  So, I'm building a machine that I want to have a filesystem that
performs very well for [mostly reads] random access to random parts of data files. I don't expect as many directory operations as file read/
write operations.

If you don't need huge amounts of space, consider an SSD.

Well, I was thinking about a few hundreds of gigabytes, which is large but not huge. But the bigger issue is that I already have hundreds of gigabytes of spinning disk, and this is not a project with any budget. So, SSD's are just too expensive.

Although, I must admit, now that you mention it, it does sound like a fantastic idea. I'll start dreaming of cheap or free SSD drives, now. ;-)

                     - Chris