Memory file systems

Quite some time ago, I remember there being a conversation about the pro's and con's of mfs vs. tmpfs. There may, for all I've tracked, be further "fast non-durable file system" options now-a-days.

My basic question is, why are there both mfs and tmpfs, what are the pro's and con's of each, and which (if either) is likely to receive more support/attention in the future?

  Thanks, and I hope I didn't poke into a political/religious issue...

                             - Chris