Re: sysinst split project - The Configuration File

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:16:07PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> I am working on this.  Myself and some other developers want Lua in
> base.  For different projects, actually.  There is an email thread on
> tech-userlevel about this.

I just finished reading that thread. sysinst implemented in Lua looks
like a great example for the chicken and egg problem. People asked for a
list of uses? Here we get one.

> The ones that will do the work will choose the tools, not the
> bystanders...

You are right :-)

> > Couldn't sysinst import/export from/to both formats, human-readable
> > (Lua script or another) and XML? That would solve the controversy,
> > but it may be difficult to maintain support for two different
> > standards.
>
> What would the gain be of having two configuration "languages"?  I
> guess it ould only add to complexity.

IMO, there would be no gain. But, if libprop were used, it would take
just some more lines of code to import/export them from/to Property
Lists, which are XML.

Ok, proplib(3) says proplib parser is not a read XML parser, but it is
almost one.

--
Silas Silva