Re: sysinst split project - The Configuration File

I use OSX as my day-job computer, with NetBSD at home on my raidframe
filestore, and on virtualboxen.

I'd be quite happy with an XML based configuration file methodology.

After all, OSX uses .plist files. -So, I'm already 'there' for some value of
there.

Complexity of editing? phui. Please. Don't try my patience. vi/emacs/ed and
grep and sed and now shell level XML tools to do grep? I'm happy.

I'll trade size for consistency any time. the files are huge? they're still
smaller than boot-time VESA logo .GIF images!

To the lua fans. Look, I don't disbelieve you that this can work, or other OS
do this. But, I'm struggling to see this fitting naturally into a BSD community
framework. OpenBSD and FreeBSD and Dragonfly are not just 'interesting' -there
is active codeshare. I worry that this step is a step which winds up reducing
mindshare, and codeshare, irreversably.

So, as a (l)user not a developer, please, leave lua on the pkgsrc side, for
now. Do XML because its a small, natural step, and it looks to me that in the
BSD mindspace, its already 'there' -in OSX

-George