Re: device timeouts on hard disks no matter what..

On 8/12/2009 8:01 AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:00:38PM +0200, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
Oh, one more point of speculation: the raidframe code. Maybe I need
to get rid of that and see what happens?

That would be another point for a weak power supply. raidframe cause
commands to be started on several drive exactly at the same time (the time
needed by the kernel to send the commands is small enough to not consider it),
which can require a lot of power from the PSU.

I've been seeing this ever since using raidframe as a mirror. Up to this point I've ignored it as it hasn't appeared to cause me any problems.

I run a dell sc430/440 with the hdd bios options set to low power/silent operation. I hadn't considered changing them but is this a possible cause? I'm happy to test when I have a chance.

Sarton