Re: NetBSD rndis (Remote NDIS) driver

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:19:56PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 2009/11/26 Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost>:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 07:01:08PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> >> I have an Android G1 which offers USB Internet tethering by exporting
> >> an rndis network device.
> >> Does anyone know if there is a NetBSD rndis driver?
> >
> > We have cdce(4), which supports the rightful USB.org class.
> > This doesn't really help you though.
> >
> > I've seen RNDIS described as Microsoft strong arming.
> > I guess that doesn't mean we shouldn't support it though.
>
> If anyone would be interested in working on a driver I'd be happy to
> supply one of the random USB dongles which provide a RNDIS interface
> :)

I've already got random junk that does it. :-)

It turns out that Microsoft published most(/all?) of the RNDIS spec
this September, so there's some hope.  After looking at it and playing
with it a little (via ugen), I'm wondering how much of COMPAT_NDIS can
be used for the NDIS portion of the thing.  Still, it looks like there
would be quite a bit of stuff to implement.

        Jonathan Kollasch