Re: Weirdness in comm(1)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:49:31 +0100
Joerg Sonnenberger <> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:30:25AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Here's a little script that shows the issue.  The attached patch fixes
> > it.  Id does make it a bit busier but comm(1) would work right.  Unless
> > someone has a reason not to I will commit this later today.
> Please use getline instead and just make line1 and line2 dynamically
> allocated. There is no point in having a line limit here and getline is
> reasonable efficient.

$ man -k getline
getline: nothing appropriate

I guess I'm not as current as I should be.  I tracked it down and read
the underlying code.  It certainly makes more sense although my way can
be backported to supported versions.  Why don't I commit what I have,
request pullups and then work on a new version for -current?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>