Re: Stack Smash Protection disabled (was HEADS-UP: Stack Smash Protection enabled by default for amd64 and i386)

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 05:34:03PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> For instance, variable-size arrays on the stack are a C99 standard feature.
> I expect to encounter it more and more.

I on the other hand expect it to go away.

> If the SSP implementation can't handle it, it is useless.

The stack smash protection code in GCC doesn't break dynamic stack
allocations. It just cannot protect functions that use them which
will result in warning if "-Wstack-protector" is used. The resulting
binary will however work without any problems.

        Kind regards