azalia vs hdaudio

I've been trying out hdaudio vs azalia on various Dell boxes we have
around here and this is what I've found:

Dell Optiplex 755  Analog Devices AD1984

With azalia:
Have to set inputs.hpsel.source=dac04 to get output through the
headphones socket.
outputs.master (which is tied to inputs.dac04) can control the volume
of both the external speakers (lineout) and the headphones.
pinsense works on the headphone socket, muting the lineout.

with hdaudio:
get output on both speakers and headphones without having to do
anything.
outputs.master only controls the volume of the headphones
outputs.master2 only controls the volume of the speakers
pinsense does _not_ work on the headphone socket.

Dell Optiplex 760  Analog Devices AD1984A

With azalia:
Have to set outputs.sel21=255 to get reasonable volumes out.
outputs.master (which is tied to inputs.dac04) can control the volume
of both the external speakers (lineout) and the headphones.
pinsense does _not_ work on the headphone socket.

with hdaudio:
inputs.dac only controls the volume on the speakers
outputs.master only controls the volume on the headphones
pinsense does _not_ work on the headphone socket.

Dell Optiplex 745    Analog Devices AD1983

With azalia:
Have to set outputs.headphones=180 to get reasonable volumes out of
the headphones.
no outputs.master
inputs.dac can control the volume of both the external speakers
(lineout) and the headphones.
pinsense does work on the headphone socket.

with hdaudio:
outputs.master only controls the volume on the speakers
outputs.master2 only controls the volume on the headphones
pinsense does work on the headphone socket.

Dell Latitude E6400   IDT 92HD71B7

Doesn't work with either azalia or hdaudio but I note that the OpenBSD
azalia_codec.c has this special handling for the E6400

        case 0x111d76b2:
                this->name = "IDT 92HD71B7";
                if (this->subid == 0x02631028 ||     /* DELL_E5500 */
                   this->subid == 0x02501028 || /* DELL_M4400 */
                    this->subid == 0x02331028 ||     /* DELL_E6400 */
                    this->subid == 0x024f1028) {     /* DELL_E6500 */
                        this->qrks |= AZ_QRK_GPIO_UNMUTE_0;
                }
                break;

and then later special handling of the quirk.  I haven't yet tried
adding something similar to our azalia and haven't even looked at how
hdaudio does things.

cheers
mark