Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Tue 13 Oct 2009 at 09:38:27 +0200, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> They are not authoritative and are not meant to replace cvs,

with this in mind, I tried a build from the repository, and it seems I
found a defect. Maybe it is because my copy got mistreated somewhat due
to lack of memory in its first location (then I moved it to a big
machine). I wonder if anyone else sees it. This is cross-compiled
from FreeBSD.

I noticed because build.sh complained that

obj ===> games/hunt
nbmake: don't know how to make obj. Stop

nbmake: stopped in /tank/vol-fourquid-1/olafs/netbsd-git/src/games/hunt

*** Failed target:  obj-hunt

It turns out that the Makefile there is incorrect. According to
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/games/hunt/Makefile?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN
it should be a trivial Makefile with basically just

    SUBDIR=     hunt huntd

    .include <bsd.subdir.mk>

but instead the file is much longer:

-rw-r--r--   1 olafs  wheel  6674 Nov  3 17:52 Makefile

and git log Makefile claims

commit 97a97c2dab606f0ac872f42c8324e4908e089bde
Author: Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Date:   Wed Jun 11 11:45:15 2003 +0000

    Import of hunt as of 2003-04-16 from ftp://ftp.cgl.ucsf.edu/pub/hunt.shar.Z,
    with files moved to proper subdirs.
    Changes since 19930717: BSD licensed, and minimal fixes.

commit 96c11642e01ef79f162d709f694628aaa9dd277d
Author: branch-fixup <branch-fixup>
Date:   Sat Oct 4 09:11:21 1997 +0000

    Add files from parent branch HEAD:
        games/hunt/Makefile

The beginning of the file is this, which looks like an obsolete version
somehow:

#
#  Hunt
#
# Copyright (c) 1983-2003, Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#
# + Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# + Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# + Neither the name of the University of California, San Francisco nor
#   the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
#   products derived from this software without specific prior written
#   permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
# IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
# TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
# PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
# OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
# SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
# LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
# DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
# THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
# (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
SHELL=          /bin/sh
HDR=            hunt.h bsd.h talk_ctl.h
DSRC1=          answer.c driver.c draw.c execute.c expl.c makemaze.c
DSRC2=          shots.c terminal.c extern.c \
                faketalk.c ctl.c ctl_transact.c get_names.c
DSRC=           ${DSRC1} ${DSRC2}
DOBJ=           answer.o driver.o draw.o execute.o expl.o makemaze.o \
                shots.o terminal.o extern.o \
                faketalk.o ctl.o ctl_transact.o get_names.o
PSRC=           hunt.c connect.c playit.c pathname.c otto.c
POBJ=           hunt.o connect.o playit.o otto.o

#
# Installation destinations
BINDIR=         /usr/games
LIBDIR=         /usr/games/lib
MANDIR=         /usr/man/man6

Does anyone else see this or is my repository borked?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.