Re: man(1): mimic OSX behaviour

Antti Kantee wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:16:31AM +0200, Christoph Egger wrote:
Hi!

On OS X it is possible to specify the manpage filename
with a full or relative path like this:

man ./foo.5

or

man /cd/foo/bar.1.gz

This is really helpful to view the manpage quickly while editing it.
You need "| $PAGER" too.  Let's face it, the patch makes typing shorter
and easier, and puts everything below one roof (well, assuming it works
as advertised, I didn't look at the code ;).

Of course, there is a small cost involved. The stat(2) that will be added for every invocation of man(1). But, given the amount of that already going on to search for multiple filename formats in all of the components of $MANPATH, I can't immagine it'd be worth complaining about. I'd certainly be happy with this feature being added. I might even remember to use it someday. (Yes, nroff -mandoc has been ingrained in my head for 20 years too...)

                                         - Chris