interface order (xen re0 versus rtk0) and kernel modules

Running amd64 5.99.18 under Xen. I was getting many "re0: watchdog
timeout" and my networking was too slow. So I boot -c and disable re0.
Now rtk0 is used and it appears to work well.

How can I get this to be the default without recompiling?

Can sborrill's userconf confscript patch be committed? (I have used it
for several boots to configure userconf automatically.) Then I could
"disabled re0" automatically.

Since this is a modular system, any way to order or tell modules to use
rtk0 and not re0? (Even though I don't see any modules named "re" or

And where is the documentation on how to tell what modules to boot up
with? Any configuration or is it just moving modules to/from
/stand/amd64/5.99.18/modules/ ?