Re: rcorder: Circular dependency on provision `named' in file `/etc/rc.d/ntpdate'.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Rhialto wrote:
> On Wed 23 Sep 2009 at 09:13:04 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > Making ntpdate start before named was discussed in tech-userlevel
> > after the change was made.  Some people were unhappy about it.

Oops, I somehow swapped the two script names in my previous message.
What I meant was:  making named start before ntpdate was discussed
in tech-userlevel after the change was made.

Here's the log message from the relevant change:

" date: 2009-08-03 17:45:48 +0000;  author: perry;
" ntpdate can't work without named because a modern ntp.conf has dns
" names in it. We therefore now depend on it.
"
" However, this would have then created a circular dependency because named
" depended on "SERVERS", and racoon was before SERVERS and required kdc,
" and kdc needs the time to be right and thus depended on ntp.
"
" Instead, have named depend on NETWORKING (so that there is a network
" there), mountcritremote (so we know that named has a directory to work
" from) and syslogd (so that named has some place to spew information).
"
" I'm not sure this is perfect, but it is certainly a big improvement
" over constantly failing ntpdate runs during boot.

> Oh, is *that* why my ntpdate at boot time doesn't work anymore...
> (it can't find the time servers)
> No, I'm not happy with that.

Perry's change was supposed to fix that problem.  If you see that
behaviour, and your /etc/rc.d is up to date with -current, then I
don't know what's wrong.

--apb (Alan Barrett)