Re: ntfs ubc_uiomove error

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 01:59:40PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20090824162524.GE6612%quartz.inf.phy.cam.ac.uk@localhost>,
> Patrick Welche  <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> wrote:
> >I just had
> >
> >  ubc_uiomove: error=22       (EINVAL)
> >
> >(basically uvm_io) after
> >
> >  vnconfig -z vnd0 rwd0e.cloop2
> >  mount -t ntfs /dev/vnd0a /mnt
> >  cp boot.sdi /tmp
> >
> >yet I can happily
> >
> >  cat boot.sdi > /tmp/foobar
> >  diff /tmp/foobar boot.sdi
> >
> >How can this be? (amd64/current)
> >

> There is very little write support for ntfs. You can only overwrite existing
> files if you don't exceed the current size IIRC. I think that the code should
> be modified to not allow read/write mounts until this is fixed. If you really
> want to write ntfs there is a fuse based ntfs filesystem written for linux
> that should work.

I was _reading_ from ntfs vnd, and writing to /tmp (tmpfs or ffs, not sure
which now...) The surprise above was that cat worked where cp failed(?!)

Cheers,

Patrick

(another issue is seeing plenty of
ntfs_procfixups: magic doesn't match: 00000000 != 58444e49
when searching through directories e.g. using find on the ntfs partition)